Fitz and The Tantrums come to Indy

The Egyptian Room at the Old National Centre was packed as the neo soul/indie rock band Fitz and The Tantrums played in Indianapolis on Nov. 4.

Fitz and The Tantrums began their music career in 2008 and released their first album, “Pickin’ Up the Pieces,” in 2010. After signing with Elektra Records in 2013, the band released its second album, “More Than Just a Dream” in May of 2013.

The concert began with the opening band Big Data, which currently holds a spot on the billboard charts with its alternative hit “Dangerous.”

Big Data recently began their career in music, releasing their first EP titled “1.0” in October 2013. Their first album, “2.0,” is scheduled for release this fall.

Big Data played for 45 minutes, introducing the audience to their electronic music before playing their hit.

Fitz and The Tantrums came out shortly after, and the crowd immediately went wild.

Sophomore exercise science major Erin Connor, one of several UIndy students to attend the show, said it was exciting to see one of her favorite bands.

“I really enjoy their music, and I love having the chance to hear some of my favorite artists live. They are an upbeat indie group, which I like, and their music is unique because it is inspired by many different styles but still meshes well,” Connor said. “There was so much energy in the room, and people were getting into the music and dancing. I think that’s what makes the Egyptian Room such a great venue, because everyone is standing together and it creates a cool interaction between everyone in the crowd and with the band members themselves.”

Some students, such as sophomore community health education major, Mallory Traver, had already seen the band on previous tours. Traver said she was still amazed.

“This was my second time attending a Fitz concert, and I would say it was just as good, if not better, than the first time,” Traver said. “They just give an amazing concert and they definitely did not disappoint. I could listen to their music on the radio any day, but just to experience their energy is indescribable.”

The band played songs from both albums including “Out of My League,” “Fools Gold” and “House on Fire” before exiting the stage.

The band’s encore performance included the songs “MoneyGrabber” and current hit, “The Walker,” which can be heard on various commercials and is the song Ellen DeGeneres lip dubbed for the 2014 Oscars.

Connor said that the encore performance made the experience unforgettable.

“My favorite part of the show was either their cover of ‘Sweet Dreams’ halfway into the show or the encore, which included confetti,” Connor said. “I loved the ‘Sweet Dreams’ cover because everyone was singing and dancing, and Fitz got the crowd involved with singing back and forth. The encore was amazing and a true testament to how much everyone enjoyed the show. Hearing the crowd cheering so crazily, the lights, dancing and confetti flying everywhere was definitely a memorable experience.”

From those who are somewhat acquainted with the band to those who know all the lyrics to every song, Traver said that every fan should attend a show.

“Everyone who is a Fitz and The Tantrums fan should see them once in their lifetime,” Traver said. “It makes you appreciate and love their music even more.”