Post Goes Country

The transition from one genre to another is not a new concept, but Post Malone going to country is one that, while I did not see coming, I am not mad about. Although artists like Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, and Beyoncé popularized the transition between pop and country, I think it is a refreshing change of pace to see Post do almost the opposite in going from rap to country — arguably an even bigger jump in styles. 

The album, “F-1 Trillion: Long Bed,” is an incredible blend of upbeat and slower songs along with a feature list that any country music fan will love, including names like Chris Stapleton, Dolly Parton and Tim McGraw, as well as more recent artists like Jelly Roll and ERNEST. I enjoyed how the album showcased his voice more than any of his previous work. It is not a secret that he has a good voice, but the slower style and pace of country music allows for the listener to really hear his vocals and range. 

As a fan of Post Malone, I could see this album being a hit or miss. I enjoy country music, so I am happy to see an artist of his magnitude making this transition. The quality of the music matters more to me than the type, but I know some people struggle when an artist they love does something different, which is fair. 

I enjoyed the variety of sounds and instruments within the songs. The majority of criticism towards country music is that all of the songs sound the same and have the same message. Even in my initial listen to this album, I was able to differentiate each song, which is not the case with a lot of albums, thus the criticism. 

I grew up listening to Post Malone’s rap music with many of his top hits being nostalgic for our generation. Fans of Post Malone may not be accepting of this change, but that comes with the territory of any artist or celebrity building a successful career. If you are a fan of Post Malone’s voice and his tone and quality, then this album is a perfect chance to listen to him in a new and different way. Of course, some songs stood out more than others, especially those with features of familiar artists with distinguishable voices. Post Malone is able to adapt his voice to the style and twang of this genre perfectly; it seems he was made for country music.