’90s Throwback Book Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

The staff of The Reflector thought about our favorite entertainment from the 1990s and decided to review them. We just had one rule: They could only review what they hadn’t already seen, heard or read.

the-giver-lois-lowry-bookLois Lowry’s “The Giver” is the first book in a four-part series. This novel follows twelve-year-old Jonas that lives in a seeming utopia. When he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memories, he finds out and uncovers the dark secrets behind his corrupt community.

One thing that I found weird is that the community is set up to have birthmothers and that every family is given a boy and a girl. Since it is set up that way, there are no grandparents and no true relatives.

This plot of this story shows that if something seems perfect then there is probably a bigger secret behind it. The community wants to be perfect, but they have a morbid way of dealing with people who do not fit into that idea of perfection.

I felt that, in a sense, I fell in love with Jonas. You start to feel his emotions as he slowly matures throughout the story. The challenges and decisions he makes are unimaginable compared to what a typical twelve-year-old would not have to think about.

The one criticism of this book I have is that I hate the cliffhanger at the end. Despite this, “The Giver” is definitely a book you could sit down and read over the weekend and I plan on one-day finishing the whole series myself.

4-stars