POTBELLY’S SANDWICH SHOP

potbellys

The first thing I noticed about Potbelly’s Sandwich Shop is the overall atmosphere of the place. It has a really colorful and welcoming decor, which is infinitely more appealing than the basic white that most restaurants favor. Although the restaurant is very small, it adds to the idea of it being a small local sub shop, and it feels very communal. I was also very impressed by the music selection; they played classic rock music that really fit the theme. The location of Potbelly’s was also nice because we could see the holiday decorations on Monument Circle, and my friend and I sat in the window seats to enjoy the scenery.

That being said, the overall experience was just okay. Customers had to wait in a congested line, and the restaurant was understaffed. Because the floor plan is so small, the space is easily crowded. I only brought one other person to dinner with me, and I worried we would not be able to find a place to sit after getting our food. Although sitting in the window was preferable because of the monument decorations, there were also no other available seats.

As someone who has worked in a restaurant, I was sympathetic to the workers and the situation, but for those who lack patience, this may not be the restaurant for you.

Although the soup I ordered was very good, there was not much of it, and my sandwich was only mediocre. The menu, while it offers options for sandwiches, soups, and salads, is very basic and none of the food is really unique in any way. The most notable offering was macaroni and cheese where customers can choose from an array of toppings, but that was small compensation in comparison to the rest of the menu.

The cost for each of us to eat was about $10, which is normally not unreasonable, but it was a little much given the small portions were and basic food. Soup and a sandwich from the dining services on campus would frankly do the job just as well.

In summation, Potbelly’s offers a forgettable—if not unpleasant—experience. It presents nothing that cannot be had at other soup and sandwich shops, like Subway or Jimmy Johns, and those restaurants do it for cheap and with more variety.

55 Monument Circle

Indianapolis, IN 46204

2-stars