CEREAL CINEMA

cereal-cinema

Who else enjoys a nice bowl of cereal in the morning as you lounge around and watch a movie?  I know I sure do. On Sept. 17 at 10 a.m., The Athenaeum Theatre, located on East Michigan St., hosted its Cereal Cinema event. For only $5, anyone around the city can come and enjoy an all-you-can-eat buffet of assorted cereals while watching a handpicked movie by the Indie Film Festival. As I walked in and grabbed my Frosted Flakes, because they’re great, the theatre began streaming the original 80s commercials promoting cereals that are still around today–such as Frosted Flakes, Cheerios and Cap’n Crunch, which I always believed was “Captain Crunch” until this event—but also cereals that I have never even heard of, such as Cow Pow. In all honesty, I enjoyed the commercials slightly more than the movie itself. The movie was the 1978 Disney science fiction film “The Black Hole.” The film is like “Star Wars” meets “Star Trek,” which, if you have seen them, are incredibly cheesy. This movie was not Disney’s best, but the crowd seemed to enjoy it. Because of upcoming major renovations, the Cereal Cinema will be relocated to the Indianapolis Museum of Art on the first Saturday of each month for the rest of the year. The next showing will be at the IMA on Oct. 1 at 10 a.m. Tickets will be $5 per person for the general public and free for kids five and under.