DRAKE

more-life-review

Compared to some other Drake albums, “More Life”  is much more chill and doesn’t contain styles of his hit singles the way “Views” did with “Pop Style,” “Hotline Bling” and “One Dance” (except for “Fake Love,” of course). Drake seemed to take it down a notch after his harder music in “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late.”  I really enjoyed the features from some of my favorite artists such as PARTYNEXTDOOR, Quavo and Travis Scott, as well as Kanye West, 2 Chainz and Young Thug. I was most excited when I noticed the PARTYNEXTDOOR feature, because a mix of vocals with Drake are my favorite, especially  after hearing their collaboration in “Come and See Me,” “Recognize” and “Over Here.” After listening to the album repeatedly, I struggled to find one song that was my favorite. If I had to choose, it would be “Portland,” featuring Quavo and Travis Scott. I also give honorable mentions to “Since Way Back,”  featuring PARTYNEXTDOOR, “Do Not Disturb” and “Ice Melts” featuring Young Thug. Out of 22 tracks, I only listened to about 10 and enjoyed the sounds with featured artists much more. I was hoping to hear more younger  featured artists that many other rappers have been working with lately. Since this record has more of a calm R&B feel, I like listening to it while I’m just casually hanging out with my friends or doing homework.  As much as I like all the music, though, I felt that some sounds were recycled from other works by Drake, and none with originality.  Despite the lack of originality of some of the beats, I still loved the album and continue to be a devoted Drake fan.

IF YOU LIKE THIS, CHECK OUT:  “FREE 6LACK” BY 6LACK

4-stars