Women’s soccer ends season on three win streak

The University of Indianapolis women’s soccer team closed out its season on Oct. 28 as the Greyhounds beat the Saint Joseph’s Pumas 2-1. Neither team finished high enough in the Great Lakes Valley Conference to make the tournament.

Although the Hounds finished 5-8-4 overall, 4-7-4 in the GLVC, Head Women’s Soccer Coach Holly Cox was pleased with how the team ended its season.

“It [winning the last three games of the season] is great for the team,” Cox said. “And [it] really shows them what they can do.”

After a scoreless first half by both teams, the Pumas were the first to find the back of the net. The goal came from the Pumas’ senior forward/midfielder Haley Celebre in the 50th minute, putting the Hounds down 1-0. UIndy did not take long to strike back, tying the game with a goal from senior forward/midfielder Taylor Cotherman at the 63:02 mark, her first of the year. Senior midfielder Jessica Bentley assisted the goal.

UIndy freshman midfielder/forward Stephanie Burdsall scored her fifth goal of the year and third game-winner of the season with four seconds left in regulation, preventing overtime. Burdsall ended the night with four shots and two on goal.

Greyhound junior goalkeeper Emma Crenshaw saved five shots during the 2-1 win. UIndy outshot the Pumas 16 to 7. Nine of the Greyhounds shots’ were on target.

For five Greyhounds, this was their last game at the collegiate level. It also was their first and last season with Cox.

“I wish I could have had them longer,” Cox said. “I just thanked them for all that they had done all season and for sticking with me. They were a very important part of our team.”

Senior midfielder/back Kiara Elliot strapped up her boots for the last time for UIndy.

“I was really excited, but I tried not to let my emotions get to me during the game,” Elliot said. “I knew it [this being my last game] would be in the back of my head the whole time, but I just tried to come out and win tonight.”

Elliot played for four years for the Hounds and said she has made some great memories during that time.

“My favorite memory was when we played Ferris State my freshman year,” she said. “The game went into double overtime and we won on a last minute goal. It was awesome. It was the first time the team felt like a huge family.”

Looking toward next season, Cox sees a lot of potential for her team, especially after ending the season on a three game win streak, an ideal ending to a difficult season in which UIndy endured an eight-game winless streak.

“There’s a lot to be optimistic about,” Cox said. “We just need to get started a little bit quicker with understanding who we are. If we can get out and play consistent 90-minute games, we have a chance to win a lot more games.” ­­­