Jazz Concert Series continues with native Indianapolis saxophonist

Indianapolis native saxophonist Sean Imboden brought his quartet to the Christel DeHaan Fine Arts Center as part of the Jazz Concert Series on Oct. 29 at 7:30 p.m.

The Concert Series is organized by Grace Labens in the Fine Arts department. She worked to get the Saxophonist and his quartet to the University of Indianapolis.

The 2014-2015 UIndy Calendar of Cultural Events gave a brief biography on Sean Imboden.

“Sean Imboden has toured internationally for several years with various Broadway productions and has performed on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” and with the Radio City Music Hall Orchestra, the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, the Temptations, Barry Manilow and Johnny Mathis,” according to the calender. “He holds a bachelor’s degree in music from Indiana University and a master’s degree from Queens College.”

ean Imboden, along with his quartet, plays a set in CDFAC Ruth Lilly Performance Hall. He has been touring around the world for several years, as well as making numerous television and broadway appearances. Photo by Artemis Choungk

The composer has a lengthy resume, having performed all over the world.

A number of students were excited to see someone so experienced perform at the university.

“Honestly, the only reason I came to the concert was to take care of some missing LP credits that I need,” said senior biology and chemistry major Tyler Glanz. “But I was surprised how well Sean Imboden performed and how experienced he really is.”

Many of the numbers kept the audience wanting more. Even students who did not have a lot of previous experience with jazz enjoyed the performance.

“I have never been to a jazz performance, or ever really listened to jazz for that matter,” said freshman nursing major Maria Geise.

Geise was not expecting the concert to be enjoyable and has some regrets for missing the other concerts held as part of the concert series in Christel DeHaan.

“I did not expect to enjoy it or have as much fun as I did at the concert . . . I wished I would have gone to more of the Jazz Concert Series. I did not know it was this good,” Geise said.

The next Jazz Concert Series performance will be on Feb. 18 at 7:30 p.m. in Ruth Lilly Performance Hall and will be hosting saxophonist Matt Pivec.