“The Princess Switch: Switched Again” Review

Vanessa Hudgens plays the characters of Stacy and Margaret in "The Princess Switched Again."
Movie Stills Database Vanessa Hudgens plays the characters of Stacy and Margaret in “The Princess Switched Again.”

“The Princess Switch: Switched Again” is a Netflix film starring Vanessa Hudgens that came out on Nov. 19. The movie is a sequel to the original movie “The Princess Switched”, which came out in 2018. It begins with a recap of the previous movie leading to the present events. Stacy, played by Vanessa Hudgens, is now a princess married to Prince Edward, played by Sam Palladio, and the soon-to-be queen dopplegänger, Margaret, also played by Hudgens, is recently single. Margaret has broken up with her ex, Kevin, who is played by Nick Sagar, due to the unnecessary stresses of taking on a royal lifestyle he did not want to be a part of. Basically, the whole movie is a plan made between the princess and soon-to-be queen to switch again and get Margaret and Kevin back together because they are meant for each other. 

This movie honestly started off very cliché and I thought it was very predictable. Without seeing the trailer first, I had no idea how they would top the first movie. There were a lot of moments where I felt like the acting was sort of overdramatized, but then I kept reminding myself that this is supposed to be a family-friendly Christmas movie. Though I don’t feel like the Christmas aspect was fully captured, I think that the whole romantic aspect was. The chemistry between Margaret and Kevin definitely is there and really made my heart flutter. I appreciate when actors can make scenes become their own and not make it feel as if I’m watching a movie. 

The good times did not last long between them due to Margaret’s cousin Fiona, who is also played by Hudgens, coming into the picture. She plays a very sassy character who was honestly only after Margaret’s money the whole time. She made a plan to kidnap her cousin and take her place to be named queen at the inauguration. This was honestly my favorite part of the movie. I do not think I have ever seen Hudgens act so wild in a movie like I did in this one. This was definitely a movie that helped her grow as an actress. 

All in all, I would rate this movie 4 out of 5 stars. The plot was pretty intriguing for the most part and kept me on my toes. All of the actors were good and played their parts well. I just wonder, what on earth would I do if I had two dopplegänger? It would be nice to switch places with the other to see if I could handle how they live.