Four wrestlers take home Little State titles

Contributed by Jacki Paquette

Contributed by Jacki Paquette

To get their first NCAA division II win, the University of Indianapolis Wrestling team beat the Lindenwood University Lions on Saturday evening. The Hounds ended the day with a final score of 19-17.

The Lions were in the lead until redshirt sophomore Heath Lange won at 157 and got his sixth pin of the season. Following, the Lions took back the lead until wins from redshirt freshman Brody Conner and  redshirt sophomore Dylan Faulkenburg closed out the meet, giving UIndy the title.

The team had its fourth event on Dec. 3 at Wabash College in Crawfordsville at the Indiana Little State Tournament. Seven UIndy wrestlers placed in the top eight, and four took home the Little State Championship.

At 141, redshirt sophomore Angelo Robles took the first title. Robles went 4-0 with two falls, and did not allow a single point. Senior Taylor DeLong also had three falls with the 184 championship taking the third final match in 55 seconds. Faulkenberg went 4-0 and pinned his final opponent in 46 seconds to achieve another championship for UIndy.  Lange went 4-0 as well in 157 with a pair of pins, one in 16 seconds. He took the championship against a Division III competitor with a 6-1 decision.

Head Wrestling Coach Jason Warthan said Lange’s win had a big impact for the team overall.

“His performance stood out among many pretty good performances. It was a big win,” Warthan said. “Wrestling is tough because it’s not that you either win or lose as a team. It’s hard to step away and feel completely satisfied with your performance.”

Contributed by Jacki Paquette

Contributed by Jacki Paquette

Three Greyhounds took second place in the event. Redshirt junior Luke Kriech went 3-1 in 174, losing in the championship match. Redshirt freshman Brody Conner took second as well against a Division III no.1 competitor. Redshirt senior Barry McGinley went 3-1 at 165, but failed to take home a championship.

“Obviously, every match I want to win. From the beginning I try to hype myself up,” McGinley said. “Probably the most on the team. I know [that with] Warthan, I slap his hand as hard as I can before every match. Out there, I try to stay composed. My biggest goal is to get the first takedown [in] that first period… I’m probably one of the tallest [in my weight class] in the nation, and he was really, really short. I didn’t think to keep my stance down lower.”

UIndy’s goal was to be the best team in the Little State Tournament, according to Warthan.

“We are always looking for the best talent in Indiana. So are the other teams that were there,”  Warthan said. “It’s good to show that we were the best team as a smaller school in Indiana.”

The season is just starting and the key events are not until second semester, according to McGinley.

“I think it’s one of those things that, after talking to the guys [wrestlers], we realized we are one of the top teams in Indiana,” McGinley said. “I talk to the heavyweight Dylan Faulkenberg, and we kinda talked about every single weight class and how we could be one of the best teams UIndy has ever had if we all compete at that top level come end of season.”

Next, the Hounds will host the 38th Annual Midwest Classic in Nicoson Hall on Dec. 17-18.