Celebrate the holidays with The Reflector staff’s Christmas playlist

With 2021 drawing to a close, The Reflector staff wanted to show some holiday spirit by sharing our favorite Christmas songs.

“Very First Christmas” by the SpongeBob SquarePants cast from SpongeBob SquarePants Christmas Special

“I grew up on SpongeBob and this was always the episode that played on Christmas. Thus it was synonymous with my childhood. Whenever I think of Christmas time, I always get the urge to listen to this song.” – Jacob Walton | Editor-in-Chief & Co-BusinessManager

“Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” 

“This song reminds me of decorating the Christmas tree with my family. We would light a fire in the fireplace and unbox all of our ornaments and all the while we would be listening to Christmas music. This song in particular sticks out to me because my three brothers and I would all break out dancing around the tree when it would come on. It reminds me of family, friends, happiness and home.” – Justus O’Neil | Managing Editor & Co-Business Manager

“Two Queens in a King Sized Bed” by Girl in Red

“It doesn’t focus on all of the hullabaloo of Christmas, and instead focuses on how it’s a season about loving others and loving beyond the Christmas season. It’s a song that’s representative of the different kinds of love at Christmas time.” – Kassandra Darnell | News Editor

“Oh Santa!” by Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson & Ariana Grande

“In ‘Oh Santa!,’ powerhouse vocalists Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson and Ariana Grande come together for the ultimate up-tempo R&B Christmas song. All three women take the listeners on a romantic, jolly ride as they sing about pleading with Santa Claus to return their significant other in time for the holidays. Carey, dubbed the “Queen of Christmas”, did it again with a great follow-up song that will have you swaying and singing along.” – Giselle Valentin | Sports Editor

“Silent Night” 

“This is my favorite Christmas song because it’s very peaceful. When I think of it, I think of lullabies. It is just so beautiful and can be listened to year round.” – Olivia Cameron | Opinion Editor

“The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting by an Open Fire)” by Nat “King” Cole

“This song is so relaxing and always puts me in a festive mood. I sometimes listen to it in the summer to relax myself. It reminds me of when my parents, my brother and I would drive around looking at the Christmas lights when we were little. It’s such a sweet song that reminds me of the quietness and excitement that is Christmas Eve.” – Hallie Gallinat | Feature Editor & Entertainment Editor

“Believe” by Josh Groban

“I like this song because it reminds me of watching The Polar Express on pajama day in elementary school and also because Josh Groban has the voice of an angel.” – MaKenna Maschino | Photo Editor

“Last Christmas” by Wham!

“It’s the only Christmas song to exist, like hello? Totally kidding (mostly). I have always just enjoyed the song because it just sounds different from other ones and isn’t like the typical getting into the Christmas spirit song that’s been done 10x over. George Michael’s heavenly vocals and that sweet, sweet 1980s synth pop sound–how could you go wrong? I also never tire of the song because after being in band and choir for so many years, I have heard and performed nearly every single classic Christmas song in any iteration at this point, so they are just not as enjoyable anymore. And while it’s titled ‘Last Christmas’ and does have bells in the background, I believe because of the story told in the story you can listen to it any time of year as well and it’s always acceptable. Wham! = Kings of Christmas.” – Kiara Conley | Online Editor

“Mi Burrito Sabanero” by Marco Pastor Estelles

“I am not a huge fan of Christmas. I truly do not look forward to it. However, when I hear the opening to this song, I simply cannot hold back. This is a classic in the Latine community. I grew up hearing this on the radio, my parents singing it, and in the streets of Mexico. This song is tamales, warm blankets and the Abuelita hot chocolate wrapped into one.” – Jazlyn Gomez | Art Director

“All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey

“Even though it’s over played, it’s very upbeat and fun to listen to and captures the essence of Christmas.” – Logan Wong | Distribution Manager

“Jingle Bell Rock” by Bobby Helms

“This song reminds me of when I was younger and would visit my grandparents in Illinois and there would be this small Santa Claus figure that would shake and move his body to this song every year. It was what I looked forward to every Christmas and the memory is so vivid.” – Alex Vela | Editorial Assistant