’90s Throwback Album Review: “’NSync” by NSYNC (1997)

The staff of The Reflector thought about our favorite entertainment from the 1990s and decided to review them. We just had one rule: They could only review what they hadn’t already seen, heard or read.

nsync-nsyncNSYNC’s debut album has been described by some as the “must-listen” album of the 1990s. After its release in 1997, the album very quickly made it to the number two spot on the Billboard 200.However, in my opinion, their first album is over-rated for the most part.

The first track on the album, “Tearin’ Up My Heart” is exactly the type of song that you would associate with NSYNC. The beat of the song became the baseline for what people would come to expect of their music: annoying pop. The track’s distinct pop feel is what drives the listener to it.

My favorite song on the album was “Everything I Own.” Although the song has a more somber tone that you would expect for an NSYNC album, the pop element is still there. The pop element is muted in order to draw more attention to the lyrics and vocals of the song, instead of the beat. The song reminds me of how important it is to hold those you care about close because you never know what could happen.

Nostalgia aside this album only has a few good songs that are not irritating. I will cut NSYNC some slack because it was their debut album, however, that is no excuse for creating the ridiculously irritating pop that the entire decade would become known for.

2_5-stars