Clairo’s new album is turning heads, and it deserves it

When I was a young, high school girl, Clairo was constantly on repeat — defining my years of youth like many other girls of my generation. Clairo gained popularity all while popularizing “bedroom pop.”  Her music was upbeat, dreamy and had a nostalgic feel, even on the first listen.

More recently, in July, Clairo released her newest album titled “Charm.” The album consists of 11 songs with sounds of jazz, soft rock and soul. Just as before, the singer-songwriter’s sound evolved. It is not uncommon for musicians to make changes and create music from other genres, but Clairo is particularly good at it. The comparison between her songs can be astronomically different, yet you can always tell it’s a Clairo song.

Clairo starts the record with her first song “Nomad.” The song’s intro is slow and whimsical but quickly picks up. Following the first song is an additional   10 more. If I had to pick my top three favorites I would choose “Pier 4,” “Juna” and “Slow Dance.” According to Spotify, “Juna” has become Clairo’s most popular song, ranking at number one. I feel it is safe to say Clairo fans are in agreement that “Juna” is a hit because the lyrics express feelings of love and affection. 

The overall feelings of  “Charm” are warm, calm and fun. All the songs tell personal stories and hold great meaning. “Nomad,” the first song on the album, tells a story of being alone or running away with lyrics like “But I’d rather be alone than a stranger,” and “I’d run the risk of losing everyone.” I find Clairo’s lyrics to be interesting because anyone who listens can perceive the story differently. Each song on the record is unique yet all ties together. 

Although I love the record’s sound and vibe, I would like to hear songs with an alternative sound as well, similar to her song “Bags.” I do not feel the album could be deemed as “bad,” I just wish there was more. I think fans would love to hear songs similar to her previous work. Overall, the album is great and shows the evolution of Clairo’s music. “Charm” is full of emotion, stories and color that bring the record together.