Senior Send-off 2021: Brett Pinna

When I first came to the University of Indianapolis in 2016, I was overwhelmed with excitement. I couldn’t wait to move into the dorms and meet new people. I lived in Cory Bretz Hall, where I met one of my best friends and made many more along the way. My time at UIndy was an experience to remember. Although the time seemed to fly by in an instant, I had the opportunity to make memories that will stick with me for the rest of my life. 

I joined The Reflector staff in 2018, and I really appreciated that time because I picked up a new skill in photography and was able to see some interesting events that I normally would not have attended. I didn’t have a lot of experience with photography prior to joining The Reflector, but taking a chance by trying something new left me with a passion for something I would not have known about otherwise. I now enjoy taking photos in my free time, and I thank The Reflector for the opportunity to discover this hobby. 

I was a photographer until the start of the pandemic and then became a writer. Writing for The Reflector taught me effective writing skills that will benefit me in the future. I found a lot of joy in writing opinion pieces because I had freedom to express myself. I was able to present my side of an issue, which gave me more confidence in my writing. I had always struggled with writing, but when I joined the staff, I had to write a new story every few weeks, which made me a better writer. 

There are many aspects of UIndy that I am thankful for, but the guidance and encouragement I received from my professors is something I will always appreciate. Professor Jeanne Criswell taught me many techniques for writing and interviewing that have become very important skills for me. Before taking this course, I had never interviewed anybody. When I was told that I had to interview people for stories, I honestly felt nervous, but Criswell taught me some great interviewing techniques that made me feel far more comfortable and confident during the interviews. 

I would like to thank the faculty, staff and my peers for everything they have done for me during my college experience, but especially for the memories. I can’t believe my time here is coming to an end, but I also can’t wait for the next chapter. I never could have gotten to where I am today without UIndy.