“Glass” Movie Review

M. Night Shyamalan’s latest release, “Glass,” hit the box office on Jan. 18 and raked in more than $50 million during its opening weekend in theaters, according to Box Office Mojo. Thanks to the popularity of its predecessor, “Split” (2017), critics and fans alike were speculating long before its release whether the follow-up film would be equally captivating.

“Glass” is a thriller that combines characters from “Split” and Shyamalan’s hit 2000 film, “Unbreakable.” Kevin Crumb, the main character in “Split,” returns and with him comes his 23 personalities. There are also two other main characters, David Dunn (also called “The Overseer”) and Elijah Glass. Like Crumb, these men both believe that they have superhuman abilities. It is this delusion that Dr. Ellie Staple, a psychiatrist, studies each men to observe in hopes of finding a cure to their conditions.

While the movie draw plot points and characters from “Split” and Shyamalan’s “Unbreakable” (2000), this movie does a fantastic job of tying its characters’ narratives and life stories together. It is suspenseful and intense and genuinely keeps viewers on their toes throughout the entire movie. I know that while watching “Glass,” I fell victim to a few jump scares, and there were also a few moments where I was genuinely surprised by an event or circumstance. Specifically, the ending left me completely shocked and made the largest impression and made the movie stick in my mind.

Full of twists and turns, this intense movie is worth watching. I would highly recommend seeing this movie and experiencing the same thrill that I did.