’90s Throwback Movie Review: Fight Club (1999)

The staff of The Reflector thought about our favorite entertainment from the 1990s and decided to review them. We just had one rule: They could only review what they hadn’t already seen, heard or read.

fight-club-movieWhy I had never seen “Fight Club” before is beyond me, but I have to say,  I was surprised with how much I liked it. The movie, which is based on a book of the same name, starts off with a depressed  insomniac (Edward Norton). On a work trip, he meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt), whom he ends up later living with and befriending. The two eventually become part of a fight club.

I don’t usually choose to watch movies that involve a whole lot of blood, but the storyline kept me interested despite all the rough fighting.  As the movie continued, the two began recruiting more and more people and began coming up with more elaborate plans for those involved, causing the club to evolve as a whole.

The plot throughout kept me interested and the ending completely flipped what I thought was going on. I love movies that have huge twists like this. This movie did a great job at keeping me captivated with an intricate storyline and characters to go with it.  After watching this, I’m only upset that I didn’t watch this sooner because this movie needs to be added to my list of classics.  The only question I have from the movies is this: Am I breaking the first rule of  “Fight Club” by writing a review about it?

5-stars