Campus Program Board hosts Kids and Sibs Weekend at UIndy

UIndy Hall A was magical and mysterious as students and their siblings gathered for a peak inside Hogwarts, University of Indianapolis style. Kids and Sibs Weekend took place Feb. 6-8, and had a Harry Potter theme.

This was not the first time Kids and Sibs came to UIndy, but it was the first time the events were more immersive and interactive, said senior marketing and German major and Campus Program Board Major Events Chair Regina Spielmann.

“In past years, we’ve gone to the Children’s Museum, but this year everything was formed by homegrown events,” Spielmann said.

From the moment freshman nursing major Hailey Oldham’s siblings were dropped off, she said they were excited and full of energy. The Harry Potter theme was a hit with Oldham’s family.

“We’re not Harry Potter haters,” said Kate Oldham, age 7.

The weekend began with a passage through Platform 9 3/4 into UIndy Hall A, which was transformed into Diagon Alley.

Freshman computer science major, John Richardson and his sibling, Sage Richardson enjoying a Harry Potter themed brunch held in Schwitzer Student Center in UIndy Hall A on Sunday, Feb. 8. Photo by Kaley Gatto

Siblings had the opportunity to make a chocolate pretzel wand, have their picture taken for the Daily Prophet, and watch potion tricks performed by the Chemistry Club and biology club, CaLUB.

Freshman pre-physical therapy major Alexis Baker and Oldham decided to do something a little different with their sibs. They took them to Ruth Lilly for open swim.

“Swimming was my favorite because I can’t do it in the winter,” said Melanie Baker, age 10.

On Saturday evening, Feb. 7, magician Joel Ward came to perform for the students and their siblings. Oldham’s younger brother, Ben, enjoyed the magician the most.

“He is an inspiring magician, so my brother thought it was awesome,” Oldham said.

Each event CPB prepared seemed to be organized and well planned, according to freshman exercise science major Kaitlin Anderson.

“We had a lot of fun, and they [my siblings] were looking forward to it for a while. Kids and Sibs Weekend gives them something to do rather than sitting in my dorm room all weekend,” Anderson said.

As a final goodbye, the United Methodist Student Association provided a game of Quidditch, and CPB provided the kids and sibs a magical brunch with Harry Potter characters walking around giving out wands.

The kids and sibs then gathered together for a final photo and a raffle prize, which was all eight Harry Potter movies and candy.

“I wasn’t a big Harry Potter fan, but I kind of wish we would have won, because I wanted to watch all the movies,” Anderson said.

Anderson, Oldham and Baker all  anticipate next year’s Kids and Sibs Weekend.

“I was really excited [that] CPB hosted the weekend,” Anderson said. “And I am looking forward to next year.”