Free concerts amplify State Fair

The Indiana State Fair hosted a number of hit musicians Aug. 1-17. Each night, the Free Stage displayed a musical act that was free with admission to the fair. In the past, the fair has hosted iconic artists such as MC Hammer, REO Speedwagon and Styx.

The 2014 lineup looked just as promising with Bridgit Mendler, Barenaked Ladies, America,  Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Kansas.

The Barenaked Ladies perform one of their songs  on the Free Stage at  the Indiana State Fair on Aug. 11. ( photo by Robbie Hadley)

The Barenaked Ladies perform one of their songs on the Free Stage at the Indiana State Fair on Aug. 11. ( photo by Robbie Hadley)

On Monday Aug. 11, the Canadian alternative rock band Barenaked Ladies played on the Free Stage. They showed off their eclectic work, which ranges from rock, to bluegrass and even some rap. Freshman undeclared major Michael Schindel attended the free show.

“I thought that [the concert] was really entertaining and funny. It was one of the better, if not the best, concert that I have ever seen,” Schindel said. “My favorite part was when they stopped in the middle of ‘If I Had a Million Dollars’ and just told jokes. I would definitely suggest the Free Stage to anyone who wants to see a concert. They have really good shows, and it doesn’t cost any more than the price of admission.”

The fair also showcased a series of  concerts and shows in the newly remodeled coliseum, acts such as Pitbull, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Phillip Phillips, Hunter Hayes and comedian Jim Gaffigan.

The 2015 Indiana State Fair will take place Aug. 7-23.