UIndy Running back Toriano Clinton breaks record

The UIndy Football team took on opponent Quincy, on Oct. 23, 2021, scoring 70 points, according to UIndy Athletics. That date was not only a busy one for the box score, but a historic one for one of UIndy’s own. Starting running back Toriano Clinton set a new school record for most rushing yards in a single season with 1,521 yards. It was the first time anyone ever recorded more than 1,500 yards in a season and it only took him eight weeks to do so, according to the UIndy Athletics Twitter page. The Greyhounds are 6-4 and a large part of their success is through the dynamic running game they have worked hard to build. Clinton said his success is an equal effort between him and his offensive line. Clinton said that his record is more than just his, and he has connections between his support and the success he has had.

Joseph Harrison CLINTON

“This is not really my record; I share this record with my lineman, with my receivers, because at the end of the day they’re the ones blocking for me,” Clinton said. “I feel like at the end of the day we deserve everything we’ve gotten and everything to come in the future.”

While the running back set a record that no one else has set in school history, according to UIndy Athletics, he remained in the present and  focused on the season. Clinton detailed his way of mentally preparing for the season.

“I listen to Gospel music all day. I just go through my prayers, I talk to my Mom and Dad, I have certain messages that I read from them,” Clinton said. “I just ask God to give me the skills he’s given me, to allow me to represent him through football and I go about my day like that.”

Clinton said sentiment to things that are larger than football is important to him. Head Football Coach Chris Keevers says Clinton is a unique player because of how he carries himself and it can be seen all over.

“He got all A’s in his midterms this semester. That’s what kind of kid he is,” Keevers said. “He’s a wonderful human being. He’s fun to be around. I enjoy every second with him. Always has a smile. Positive, works his tail off and you don’t find a lot of guys like that are that good, and that aren’t a pain. And he’s not. He’s a fine young man.” 

With there still being one game left in the season, Clinton has the chance to continue his successful season and potentially move his current record further out of reach. Looking ahead, Clinton said he is very grateful for football.

“Football is pretty much my life. Football has gotten me through the toughest of my times,” Clinton said. “Football means a lot to me, I’ve been playing this game since I was five [years old].. It’s built me to be the man I am today. Football has always been my way out. And I’ll always remember playing it as a kid and just having fun. That’s what I represent.”