February 18, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Email
Primary Menu
  • News
    • State
    • Nation
  • Sports
    • Basketball
    • Baseball
    • Cheerleading
    • Cross Country
    • Football
    • Golf
    • Intramurals
    • Lacrosse
    • Soccer
    • Softball
    • Swimming & Diving
    • Tennis
    • Track & Field
    • Volleyball
    • Wrestling
  • Feature
  • Opinion
    • Editorials
    • Letters
    • Senior Send-Offs
    • Editorial Cartoons
  • Entertainment
  • Reviews
    • Music
    • Books
    • Experiences
    • Games
    • Movies
    • Other
    • Restaurants
    • TV
The Reflector
Primary Menu
  • News
    • State
    • Nation
  • Sports
    • Basketball
    • Baseball
    • Cheerleading
    • Cross Country
    • Football
    • Golf
    • Intramurals
    • Lacrosse
    • Soccer
    • Softball
    • Swimming & Diving
    • Tennis
    • Track & Field
    • Volleyball
    • Wrestling
  • Feature
  • Opinion
    • Editorials
    • Letters
    • Senior Send-Offs
    • Editorial Cartoons
  • Entertainment
  • Reviews
    • Music
    • Books
    • Experiences
    • Games
    • Movies
    • Other
    • Restaurants
    • TV
Follow The Reflector on social media! @ReflectorUIndy on Instagram, /ReflectorUIndy on Facebook
  • Home
  • 2016
  • September
  • 7
  • Bomb threat received at the UIndy Campus
  • Featured Stories
  • News

Bomb threat received at the UIndy Campus

Erik Cliburn | Editorial Assistant September 7, 2016 3 minutes read

Confusion filled the air at the University of Indianapolis on Thursday as the students and staff were evacuated in regards to a bomb threat. Shortly after 4 p.m. all students, staff and faculty members were alerted either through the UIndy Police’s Watchdog service, or through an announcement over an intercom to evacuate all the buildings on campus. The question, “What’s going on?” seemed to be said by everyone as they filed out onto Smith Mall and various other locations. A second watchdog alert soon followed warning students, faculty and staff members to clear the campus immediately. The alert mentioned that someone had called a bomb threat into the university and that evening classes had been cancelled.

Students file off campus during the bomb threat. Photo by Erik Cliburn
Students file off campus during the bomb threat. Photo by Erik Cliburn

 

After the second alert was spread everyone quickly began dispersing off of campus. The residence directors and residence assistants began facilitating the evacuation process for the students still on campus. Lines of cars filled the parking lots and streets of UIndy as everyone tried to flee campus. Others, rather than driving, had friends or family members come pick them up, abandoning their cars to come back for them later. Junior history major and residence assistant Jeff Todd helped with the evacuation of students during the incident.

“As staff on campus we don’t really prepare for this kind of scenario to take place,” Todd said. “In all, I feel like we are doing a pretty good job of getting people in to a safe location. A majority of the time they [bomb threats] turn out to be false, so that’s what I’m hoping for.”

Coordinator for the Student Business Center Brian McCarty was working in the Student Business Center with some of his student workers when the alert was sent out.

“As far as I can tell they [the police] are sweeping buildings and making sure everyone is out safe,” McCarty said. “We [McCarty and the student workers] just went down the planned route we had and made sure everyone was out the building on my end, then we just kind of walked outside and waited.”

Junior history and political science major and residence assistant Schuylar Casto received the word from his director to assist with the evacuation process.

“We’ve had some discussion [with upper-level faculty],” Casto said. “They don’t know much so we’re just working to get people off campus right now.”

Shortly before 5 p.m. UIndy police officers gave the all clear to evacuated students, faculty and staff. Following the nearly hour-long event, UIndy president Rob Manuel sent out an email to the whole campus community praising the work of those who helped in the evacuation and explaining that the threat of a bomb was credible enough to warrant the evacuation.

No information has yet been found on the person or persons who called in the bomb threat.

Tags: Bomb Bomb Threat Brian McCarty Erik Cliburn Indianapolis Jeff Todd News Rob Manuel Schuylar Casto The Reflector The Reflector Online UIndy University of Indianapolis Watchdog

Post navigation

Previous: Yvonne Shaheen named Living Legend
Next: Hounds open season 0-2 for first time since 2012

Related Stories

News
  • Featured Stories
  • News

AI in the classroom and beyond: AI usage varies among students and professionals, blurring the lines of ethical use

Logan McInnes, Editor-in-Chief February 9, 2026
Team huddle
  • Basketball
  • Featured Stories
  • Sports

Greyhounds hitting their stride as GLVC play heats up

Brayton Bowen, Sports Editor February 9, 2026
Andrew Stafford headshot
  • News

Andrew Stafford: New UIndy Athletic Department hire 

Willa Allen, Social Media Manager February 9, 2026

Advertisements

Elevation Worship Feb. 27 Gainbridge Fieldhouse. Students save 25% with code "Student."

Categories

Recent Posts

  • It can be done: Indiana’s impossible rise to the college football summit
  • Greyhounds hitting their stride as GLVC play heats up
  • Injury-riddled Pacers shift their focus to draft lottery and long-term growth
  • Hounds resemble service
  • IUI cancels MLK dinner: What a dinner cancellation means for which national holidays are being recognized

Archives

NEWSLETTER

Subscribe to The Reflector's newsletter, The Rundown

You may have missed

Sports
  • Football
  • Sports

It can be done: Indiana’s impossible rise to the college football summit

Brayton Bowen, Sports Editor, and Dallas Marshall, Staff Writer February 9, 2026
Team huddle
  • Basketball
  • Featured Stories
  • Sports

Greyhounds hitting their stride as GLVC play heats up

Brayton Bowen, Sports Editor February 9, 2026
Gainbridge Fieldhouse
  • Basketball
  • Featured Stories
  • Sports

Injury-riddled Pacers shift their focus to draft lottery and long-term growth

Ella Crawford, Photo Editor February 9, 2026
Marianna Foulkrod
  • Featured Stories
  • News

Hounds resemble service

Genevieve Condon, Entertainment Editor February 9, 2026

General Info

  • About
  • Awards
  • Advertising
  • Contact
  • Policies
  • Print Editions
  • Reflector Archives
  • Accessibility Statement

General Info

  • About
  • Awards
  • Advertising
  • Contact
  • Policies
  • Print Editions
  • Reflector Archives
  • Accessibility Statement

Subscribe

Subscribe to The Reflector’s email newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest campus news.

Subscribe

Subscribe to The Reflector’s email newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest campus news.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Email
© Copyright 2025 The Reflector and The Reflector Online. All rights reserved. | MoreNews by AF themes.