A student reacts: Pink Week

When I was 15-years-old I got the worst news I could ever have imagined. My grandmother had been diagnosed with stage three ovarian cancer.

My grandmother and I were close, especially since my family lived right down the street from her.

You never think about such harsh realities when you’re young. It may be too hard even to fathom anything so negative in your life.

When my grandmother passed away just three years later, I never understood why. All I knew was the strength she conveyed and instilled in me. That is something that I will carry for a lifetime.

Cancer is a growing problem and one type has become extremely prominent. It can strike either gender. Breast cancer has affected too many lives and continues to do so. I personally have an aunt who battled and overcame it.

It was not an easy fight for her. Many donations were made, not only by our family, but by others as well. This generosity from strangers was astounding, and I never knew that generosity could go such a long way.

The University of Indianapolis has done a fantastic job of showing its support in the matter.

Pink Week offered students many ways to make donations to the Susan G. Komen fund.

Pink Week was so successful because cancer touches many lives. Many people will donate to such a cause, especially if it is something that ultimately hits home.

UIndy has given us a tremendous way to donate and raise awareness about this cause.

Breast cancer will continue to be a growing problem if it is ignored, so raising awareness will certainly help spread the word about this growing issue.

Many families deal with multiple types of cancer, and UIndy has shown support for that, too.

By holding Pink Week each year, the university has shown its concern for outside issues that don’t have exact school involvement.

Pink Week made me feel very supported because my family has been personally affected by cancer, just as many other students and their families have been. Raising awareness for this cause has brought up many emotions within me.

Just the reminder of not being alone makes you feel human.

Many students have dealt with cancer in their lives, and knowing that UIndy fully supports its students is a huge comfort.

As the Susan G. Komen Foundation has said, “Breast cancer touches us all. It’s a journey we take together.”

Cancer is a journey taken not just  by an individual loved one, but by the entire family.

Support can go such a long way, even if you donate to someone you have never met before. The generosity and support can extend to a multitude of families.

We all have been taught to fight for our spots in life. Some people need help in that fight, and this is one of those times.

All the donations made to multiple cancer organizations give us the chance to help find a cure and help those in need.

The process of finding a cure has been daunting, but there is no room to give up in this fight.

My grandma always told me that life should be lived no matter what situation you encounter.

When she was diagnosed, she never let it faze her. That is what I admired the most. All of the donations and walks our family did for her proved more than just our compassion. It proved our strength as well.

Cancer has made its mark on my life, it has taken away some of the most amazing people I will ever know, but you can’t let that limit your life. You have to learn and grow from it.

I feel that UIndy has given me a chance to learn and to make a difference. Walking to the Perk that Monday morning astounded me.

All of the balloons and the prominence of pink week took my breath away, as cheesy as that sounds.

October shouldn’t be a time of grieving about cancer, it should be a time of celebrating all the good that can be done, not only to beat breast cancer, but for all of the other cancers as well.