Print This Post

UIndy men’s basketball defeats Wisconsin-Parkside

Posted on 02.28.2013

The University of Indianapolis men’s basketball team defeated the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, 72-70, on Feb. 23. The victory over the Rangers gave the Hounds a much needed win following three straight losses.

Head Men’s Basketball Coach Stan Gouard said that the win was an emotional victory for the team.

“It was a big win for us,” Gouard said. “We were fighting for our life a little bit, and I am just glad we overcame adversity tonight.”

Junior guard Tyrae Robinson led the Greyhounds in scoring and was nearly perfect on the day, scoring 21 points off of 6-of-7 field goals, three of those from outside the arch, and making 6-of-8 from the free throw line. Robinson said that getting the win was crucial for the team and that his performance was driven by his inspiration to fight for his teammates and coaches.

“I just have to keep fighting, keep fighting for my team and my coaches,” Robinson said. “We’re all family; we’re all brothers. And it was [senior forward] James [Hollowell’s] senior night. So I’m not going to let my player go out like that on a senior night. I just knew we needed to keep fighting today, and we needed this win definitely at home.”

During the game, the Greyhounds shot 51.2 percent from the field, 47.1 percent from outside the arch and 83.3 percent from the free throw line. Three Greyhounds scored in double figures, including Robinson with 21, junior guard Reece Cheatham with 12, and sophomore guard Daniel Daudu with 10.

The Greyhounds’ greatest strengths during the game were their players off the bench, who contributed 25 of the team’s 72 points. Gouard said that the play from his bench was a major factor contributing to the team’s success.

“It was huge,” Gouard said. “Those guys came off the bench, and we didn’t miss a beat when they came in the basketball game. And that is what you need from the team.”

During the first half, the Greyhounds set the tone for the game early, building a 10-4 lead in the first five minutes. The Greyhounds continued to build on their lead and pulled ahead by as much as 13 points, following a jumper by Daudu with 10:34 remaining in the half. The Rangers refused to allow a blowout game, however, and pulled within two points following the Rangers’ 3-pointer with 4:16 remaining.

In the second half, the Greyhounds maintained their lead until a 3-pointer by the Rangers gave UWP its first lead since the beginning of the first half. With motivation on their side, the Rangers did not let up and extended their lead to as much as nine points with 3:15 remaining in the game. UIndy did not panic and fought back to take the lead again from two free throws by Robinson with 28 seconds remaining. With no time left on the shot clock, the Rangers attempted to hold the ball for the last possession but turned the ball over, giving possession to Robinson with eight seconds remaining. Robinson was fouled and went to the free throw line to shoot two more free throws, making one of those. Down by two and with enough time for one more shot, the Rangers attempted to push the ball across the half court line to set up the last shot, but the ball was intercepted by sophomore guard Brennan McElroy, ending the game.

After the game, Gouard said that heading into the postseason, this close victory meant a lot to the team’s position.

“It gives us confidence going down the stretch. It also helps us in terms of regional rankings and things like that,” he said. “But we have to worry about Thursday night first.”

The Greyhounds’ final game of the regular season will be at home at 7:45 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 28, in Nicoson Hall. Afterwards, they will begin preparation for the 2013 Deaconess GLVC Men’s Basketball Championship in Evansville, Ind.


RSS Feed  Follow Us on Twitter  Facebook Profile