Print This Post

Men’s basketball loses at home to GLVC opponents USI and KWC

Posted on 02.20.2013

The University of Indianapolis men’s basketball team experienced a tough loss on Feb. 16 to the Kentucky Wesleyan College Panthers, 74-73. After the Greyhounds fought back from a 21-point deficit, the Panthers were able to secure the victory by converting one of two free throws with 0.5 seconds remaining.

Junior guard Reece Cheatham led the Greyhounds in scoring that day, scoring 22 points, which included making 6-of-10 from the field, four of those from outside the arch, and going a perfect 6-of-6 from the free throw line.

At the beginning of the game, the Greyhounds were never able to seize control and fought to keep the Panthers’  lead at single-digit points. The Greyhounds eventually lost control and allowed the Panthers to extend their lead to double-digits at the 3:51 mark. At the end of the half, the Panthers led by 14 points, 38-24.

When the Hounds returned for the second half, UIndy started right where they left off, and the Panthers increased their lead to 21 points with 15:18 remaining. The motivation for the Panthers, however, did not last,  and the Greyhounds came back from the deficit. With 5:31 remaining in the game, senior forward James Hollowell was able to put up a jumper that gave the Hounds their first lead of the game, 64-63.

The Panthers continued to play offensively with the Greyhounds and had the lead by two points with 51 seconds remaining in the game. Hollowell continued with his high performance and tied the score once again with 34 seconds remaining, 73-73.

Since there was no longer a shot clock, the Panthers dribbled out the remaining seconds in order to have possession. With only half a second remaining in the game, KWC drew a foul driving to the goal and went to the line for two. The Panthers knocked down one-of-two, and took the victory.

As a team, the Greyhounds shot statistically better in the second half.

Cheatham, who helped contribute to the Greyhound comeback, said that the game was a tale of two halves between the teams, and that the Greyhounds needed to come out playing in the first half the way they did in the second.

Junior Guard Tyrae Robinson goes in for a layup against William Jewell College on Jan 3. Robinson has contributed to the Greyhounds’ offense this season, averaging 9.1 points during his first year as a Hound. Photo contributed by Matt Holmes.

One contributing factor to the team’s  poor first half was early foul trouble by some of the Greyhounds’ starters.

Although Cheatham acknowledged this was one of the issues, he said the team could not give excuses.

“I think it [foul trouble] had something somewhat to do with it, but we have guys who come off the bench and they are contributors. So we don’t want to let that be an excuse for us,” Cheatham said.

Earlier that week, the team played against the University of Southern Indiana Screaming Eagles on Feb. 14, losing 87-62.

Following the end of the game, Head Men’s Basketball Coach Stan Gouard said that the loss was one of the most disappointing that he had been a part of as a coach.

“We showed no energy tonight. We showed no type of hustle. And they [USI] took it to us the entire night,” Gouard said. “And it’s so disappointing that our guys weren’t ready to go.”

In their loss to the Screaming Eagles, the Hounds were led offensively by junior forward Leland Brown, who put up 16 points.

After being at home for the past two games, the Greyhounds will travel to Lewis University on Feb. 21 at 8:30 p.m. to take on the Flyers.

Cheatham said that this week will be important to get back on track as a team.

“We have to be ready to come back next week, dig ourselves out of a hole, and be ready to go,” Cheatham said. “Our season is not over.”


RSS Feed  Follow Us on Twitter  Facebook Profile