Things to do during quarantine to get away from the TV

There’s no shame in binge-watching Netflix and playing video games, but during this time, it’s important to remember that we need to keep our bodies and minds active. It’s the perfect time to do all those things you’ve been wanting to do, but have been too busy for. Listed below are 11 things you can do to step away from the television.

1. Home Workouts (for a post-quarantine glo-up)

If you’re a frequent gym-goer like me, home workouts are not in my comfort zone, but I quickly became accustomed to them. Workouts to do in the living room such as High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), cardio, legs, arms and abs are all available virtually. The best part—they are all free and NO equipment is needed! Check out some of my favorite YouTube workouts:

Antonio Perez/Chicago Tribune/TNS Mika Stambaugh runs up and down three flights of stairs inside her condo building’s stairway on March 18, 2020, in Chicago.

2. Do a Puzzle

On a typical day, I am NOT a puzzle person. Puzzles have never intrigued me and I really just think they’re boring. However, my sister and my mom started one and it piqued my interest in puzzles, especially during this time. Puzzles are a great way to pass the time and there are a lot of options for them, 500 pieces or 1000. If you need to purchase one, check out Amazon

3. Start journaling

Journaling is a great way to express your thoughts on whatever you’re feeling at the moment. During this time in the world, we may be unsure of our feelings and emotions and how to express them, so writing them down is a good way to get those thoughts out. Grab your favorite notebook and a colored pen and get writing!  I have attached a link below to help you get started on your writing. 

4. Declutter

If you’re a normal person, it’s likely you have a lot of unnecessary clutter sitting around the house or apartment. All those clothes in your closet, specifically that one shirt you keep saying you’re going to wear soon, but really won’t – get rid of it. Purge your closet of clothes, purses, shoes and put them aside. After you’re done, give them away or take them to Plato’s Closet to get some extra cash. 

5. Do-It-Yourself (DIY) projects

All of those home renovations and projects you have been wanting to do for a while, now is the perfect time. A few weeks ago, my mom and I took a broken full length mirror, painted it, decorated it and now it’s another decoration in my room! We spray painted some old bottles for flower vases instead of getting rid of them. If you need some DIY ideas, check out Pinterest for some inspo. 

6. Try out new recipes

I’ve always liked to cook and try out new recipes, but quarantine has really given me a chance to do this even more. I’m always on my phone looking up new recipes to try from Pinterest, Tasty, and Instagram food accounts. This is a great way to try something new and impress your quarantine buddies with your cooking skills. 

7. Practice self-care

Practicing self-care is something I have always deemed essential for myself to be successful. No matter how busy I am, I always make time for it. Now, we all have more than enough time for some self-care, and no, it’s not just a girl thing – guys deserve it too! Take time to put on your favorite face mask, hair mask or take a bath.  Self-care comes in many different forms, so make sure you take time to appreciate yourself and do what makes you feel best. 

8. Listen to podcasts

Podcasts are usually good for drives to work, workouts, and trips, but they can also be good to listen to around the house. I’ve been listening to them during homework, cooking or just when I’m bored. The great thing about them is that there are different genres such as news, comedy, history and culture. Personally, I prefer True Crime. Podcasts are available to search on the Podcast app or Spotify. 

9. Rearrange/Redecorate things around the house

When I came back home, my mom and I decided to rearrange my room. We spent a few weeks moving things around and ordering new decorations. This is a really fun thing to do if you want to change up some things around the house and give it a new feel, considering you’ve been spending all your time there. 

10. Reflect and work on self-improvement

I think self-improvement is something that everyone can work on at one time or another. Having so much free time is a great way to reflect on yourself as a person and your qualities. What can I do better? What qualities do I need to work on? How will I work on them? If you’re a soon to be college grad like myself or looking for a new job, brushing up on interview skills can be helpful too.

11. Write a daily schedule

Most of us are in the same boat on this one, and that is that days are becoming repetitive. To improve this, write out a daily schedule of all your activities. Wake up, eat breakfast, workout, paint something, remember to drink water, etc. Try to plan out something productive to do each day so you feel accomplished and that will go a long way.

Cover Photo by Chris Erskine/Los Angeles Times/TNS