Editorial: Post Malone “Runaway Tour”

Austin Richard Post, known to the world as Post Malone, performed in Indianapolis at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Sunday, Feb. 9. People flooded the streets of downtown Indy so they could make sure they were in line to get inside on time, some even arriving hours before the concert started. As soon as my sister and I walked inside, we had to go through security, scan our tickets, and make our way to our seats. We wanted to wait in line for merchandise, but I’m not kidding when I say the merch lines were wrapped around the halls of Bankers Life. 

Although Post Malone was the headliner, he didn’t travel and perform alone. Rappers Tyla Yaweh and Swae Lee traveled with him, Yaweh opening up the show and Swae Lee following behind. The rappers used their stage time to set the scene of the concert and work on hyping up the crowd for Malone to come on. My sister and I attended the concert strictly to see Post Malone because we are huge fans, but we didn’t have much interest in the openers that we didn’t really know much about.

After a few hours of waiting around, the lights finally dimmed around 9:45pm and we knew that was a sign that he was about to come on stage. He started his debut with the song that also takes the name of his latest album titled “Hollywood’s Bleeding.” As soon as Post Malone came on with his tattooed covered face and body along with his butterfly shirt, everybody inside was screaming. He sang a couple of songs and then went on to tell the crowd how grateful he was, thanking us for supporting him. 

Post Malone continued with his 20 song setlist, one song after another and each time, the crowd was getting more and more excited. During the middle of his show, there were fireworks and fire popping up from behind the stage, which startled me, but was something I have never experienced at a concert before. Throughout the concert, Malone was drinking a Bud Light, which he occasionally handed to somebody on the floor to go and get it refilled. 

When he started playing the song “Rockstar,” which was second to last of his setlist, he was jumping around on stage and was the most excited than he had been the whole time. After he was done with that song, he smashed his guitar on stage and poured his Bud Light over it. The crowd went wild. 

As the concert was nearing the end and he was about to play his last song, “Congratulations,” Malone gave some life advice to everybody in attendance. He said that all of us in the room can do anything we set our minds to and if people tell us otherwise, then prove them wrong. He was told that he would never make it and now he’s touring the world, selling out his shows and proving those people wrong, which is what the song “Congratulations” is about. 

Even though I saw Post Malone one other time, I’m so happy that I was able to attend a sold-out show by one of my favorite artists and experience everything that he gave us. He’s one out of many famous people who show their true selves and show things for how they are and truly is grateful for his fans. 

Even though my feet got tired from standing and the temperature seemed to get hotter and hotter throughout, I had a great experience at the concert. Post Malone is a very entertaining performer and didn’t disappoint.