’90s Throwback Movie Review: Forrest Gump (1994)

The staff of The Reflector thought about our favorite entertainment from the 1990s and decided to review them. We just had one rule: They could only review what they hadn’t already seen, heard or read.

forrest-gump-movieIf you haven’t seen “Forrest Gump” yet, I’d recommend you stop reading this review and go watch it, but if you need more convincing, read on. Let me start by saying that I really wish I had watched “Forrest Gump” earlier. The movie made me laugh and cry and everything else in between.  For every somber moment there is an equally funny moment not long after, making for an entertaining and heartwarming movie.

The film follows the life of a man named Forrest Gump. Throughout the course of the movie, we get to see Gump deal with bullies, fall in love, survive the Vietnam War, master the game of ping-pong and so much more. It’s a wonderfully heartwarming story about a guy that’s a little different, but has an incredible life. The movie allows you to feel real emotion for the characters, but doesn’t make you wallow in those feelings. I loved every character and thought they were cast perfectly. As a fan of history, I love how the movie wove Forrest Gump into so many iconic moments and pop culture references.

This is definitely the best movie that I’ve seen that follows such a big chunk of a character’s life. I loved every minute of it and I can’t wait to watch it again. I only regret not watching it sooner.

5-stars