Print This Post

’90s Throwback Book Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry (1993)

Posted on 04.25.2018

The staff of The Reflector thought about our favorite entertainment from the 1990s and decided to review them. We just had one rule: They could only review what they hadn’t already seen, heard or read.

the-giver-lois-lowry-bookLois Lowry’s “The Giver” is the first book in a four-part series. This novel follows twelve-year-old Jonas that lives in a seeming utopia. When he is given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memories, he finds out and uncovers the dark secrets behind his corrupt community.

One thing that I found weird is that the community is set up to have birthmothers and that every family is given a boy and a girl. Since it is set up that way, there are no grandparents and no true relatives.

This plot of this story shows that if something seems perfect then there is probably a bigger secret behind it. The community wants to be perfect, but they have a morbid way of dealing with people who do not fit into that idea of perfection.

I felt that, in a sense, I fell in love with Jonas. You start to feel his emotions as he slowly matures throughout the story. The challenges and decisions he makes are unimaginable compared to what a typical twelve-year-old would not have to think about.

The one criticism of this book I have is that I hate the cliffhanger at the end. Despite this, “The Giver” is definitely a book you could sit down and read over the weekend and I plan on one-day finishing the whole series myself.

4-stars

Share

Facebook Profile  Follow Us on Twitter RSS Feed Instagram