FIFTY SHADES DARKER

fifty-shades-darker-mask

If you are a lover of the “50 Shades” series, “50 Shades Darker” will not disappoint. I’m going to be honest, I was pretty excited for the release of the film because it had taken so long for the release since the first film, “50 Shades of Grey.” While I was excited, I was also a bit apprehensive about whether I was going to enjoy the movie or not because I thought the acting was terrible in the first movie, but “50 Shades Darker” exceeded my expectations, although they weren’t set that high in the first place. The film went from zero to one hundred really quickly in sexual content,  which is something I was not prepared for. Dakota Johnson played personal assistant Anastasia Steele and Jamie Dornan played entrepreneur Christian Grey, just as in the first film. The continuous love story between Grey and Steele was easier to follow this time through because Grey and Steele seemed to have better chemistry on screen. The film focuses on the childhood traumas that Grey faced but also shows the journey to trusting Steele in opening up to her about those traumas. While dominance is the strength of Grey, his need for control unravels as he begins to recognize his need for Steele. It was great to watch how the relationship between Steele and Grey became balanced, rather than based on sexual desires. If you are someone who becomes uncomfortable around sexual happenings,  I would advise against going to see this movie in theaters.

4-stars