SNOWDEN

snowden-2

Where do I even begin? I can’t express how hard it is to put into words just how amazing this movie is.  Edward Snowden, a former hacker for the CIA, invites journalists to hear classified information about the NSA’s illegal surveillance techniques from his time working for the government. He shows them thousands of classified documents to prove that this information is legitimate.  Before he can begin sharing information with them,  he tosses their cell phones into a microwave to prevent the NSA from listening to their conversation. The storyline follows the days Snowden spent giving information he thought the American people deserved to know. “Snowden” is based on a true story, and it’s scary to realize how much the NSA and the CIA were doing without our knowledge. It made me want to throw out my phone and never touch my computer again.  But, when the credits began,  images of real articles about the collection of all this data being deemed illegal were scrolling and made me feel a little bit more comfortable. Leaving the theatre was bittersweet because I couldn’t believe what I had just seen, but at the same time, I didn’t want it to be over. “Snowden” is one of those movies I could see a hundred more times and never get tired of because I’ll always be able to find something I missed the first time I watched it.  This movie is definitely a must–see.