Print This Post

Men’s soccer splits two OT games over weekend

Posted on 09.30.2015

The University of Indianapolis men’s soccer team faced Great Lakes Valley Conference opponents Truman State University and Quincy University. The Greyhounds lost to Quincy 3-2 in overtime on Sunday, Sept. 27. Prior to that, UIndy beat Truman 1-0 in OT on Friday, Sept. 25.

While competing against Quincy, the Greyhounds allowed two goals before scoring one of their own. The Hawks scored in the 39th and 52nd minute.

UIndy did not score until the 63rd minute. Freshmen midfielder Callum Walsh’s free kick from 45 yards out made the Greyhounds present on the scoreboard.

Less than seven minutes later, sophomore midfielder assisted freshmen forward Benjamin Sierra on the Greyhounds second goal of the game to tie the score at 2-2.

The score remained through regulation and into OT. It was not until the 92nd minute that Quincy’s junior midfielder Taylor Reis shut the game down from 25 yards out.

Prior to facing the Hawks, UIndy took on the Truman State University Bulldogs. With no one scoring in regulation, the game was forced in to OT.


Back Brendon Widau fights for control of the ball while facing Wisconsin-Parkside. Widau had one shot in the game, and has two this season. Photo by Cassie Reverman

Once again the game was decided in the 92nd minute, but this time in favor of the Greyhounds. Senior forward Zak Mitiche found the back of the net on a free kick to end the game victoriously for UIndy.

On Sept. 20, UIndy won its first GLVC game of the season. The Greyhounds beat the University of Missouri-St. Louis 2-1.

While facing UMSL, the Greyhounds found themselves down 1-0 at the 41 minute mark, after allowing the Tritons to get on the board first. By the half, UIndy was  shotless and down by one heading into the locker room.

In the 64th minute the Greyhounds got on the board.  Sophomore midfielder Josh Ling opened up scoring for UIndy after receiving a pass from junior forward Jacob Meyer. The score remained 1-1 through regulation.

Less than two minutes into overtime sophomore midfielder David Kurz found the back of the net on a free kick that was placed 30 yards out. Kurz’s goal demonstrates that hard work pays off, according to Head Men’s Soccer Coach John Higgins.

“It was more of a relief than anything else for me,” Higgins said. “I always tell the guys that if you keep doing the right thing, you’ll get your reward. My guys have continued to do the right things, and it’s not quite happened and has not quite come for them. So for me, more than anything else, it was just a bit of relief that the guys finally got the reward for doing all the right things and doing all the little things.”

After the win against UMSL, UIndy is going to start climbing the ranks, according to senior back Julian Shamsaie.

“I have a larger perspective of the whole game, and I see everyone,” he said.  “It gets kind of frustrating when I see how much possession we have and how dominating we are the entire game to not get the result that we want. It was good Sunday [Sept. 20] to finally get those couple goals and get over that hump that we’ve been in and that scoring drought. Now we’re finally getting into our stride, and it’s only up from here.”

Prior to facing the Tritons, UIndy competed against the Maryville Saints on Sept.. 18.  After going through regulation and double overtime, the Greyhounds ended in a 0-0 draw. UIndy outshot the Saints 13-6, with Meyer and senior midfielder Leo Cunningham both contributing three shots each.   Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Christopher Jones was in goal for the Greyhounds with four saves.

The Greyhounds’  next match is Friday, Oct. 2, when they travel to Southern Indiana University.  The match is set to begin at 8:30 p.m. at Strassweg Field.


 Facebook Profile  Follow Us on Twitter RSS Feed Instagram