Professional Edge Center offers two tuition awards

The Professional Edge Center at the University of Indianapolis has begun a new initiative that could possibly award two students more than $25,000.

According to its website, the Professional Edge Center provides internship, mentorship, entrepreneurship and employment opportunities for students and new graduates. To promote and achieve this aim, the center is hosting a “Free Tuition Half-Court Shot” initiative. To get his or her name into the drawing, a student must attend as many of the listed workshops as possible. One male and one female full-time undergraduate name will be drawn in the Schwitzer Student Center on Feb. 26. The winners will attempt a half-court shot during one of the basketball games at UIndy’s “Pack the House” Night. If the shot is made by either student, a semester of free tuition will be awarded.

Workshops for the “Free Tuition Half-Court Shot” initiative began Jan. 20 with “LinkedIn Professional Headshots” and will end Feb. 25 with “Careers & Coffee.” Other events include “Resume Review,” “Job Search 101,”  “Handshake Software Demo” and others.

With the total cost of UIndy’s undergraduate tuition estimated to be $33,314,  senior math major Kyra Monroe is excited about this opportunity.

“I’ve been trying to attend events since they’ve started, and I hope I can make it to a lot more in February,” Monroe said. “I feel more secure knowing that I’m being effectively prepared for post-college life, and even better knowing that I could potentially win thousands of dollars in the process.”

According to the Professional Edge Center website, in addition to the workshops that are being hosted for the “Free Tuition Half-Court Shot,” the Professional Edge Center offers multiple other services. The process starts with working with one of  UIndy’s Academic Advising staffers to help students explore how their passions can turn into a major or course of study and ultimately a career.

Then students may take various paths from that point, such as job shadowing, meeting UIndy alumni to explore career possibilities, participating in Real Life 101 panels of alumni and other local professionals, finding community service opportunities, receiving professional help for resume and job interview preparation and more.

“I didn’t know what I wanted to do after college until I started talking to advisors in the Professional Edge Center this past fall, and now I visit them at least twice a month,” said senior theatre major Laraithon Williams. “What other university do you know that’ll give you 20 or 30 grand to prepare for your future?