UIndy hosts Recreational Fitness Day

The University of Indianapolis hosted Recreational Fitness Day on Saturday, Feb. 22, in the Ruth Lilly Fitness Center.

Sports marketing and sport management major and Campus Program Board chairperson Niki Lobo was one of the organizers of the event. To prepare, Lobo said that she, Student Activities Coordinator Stephanie Barry and others had to jump through several hoops to make UIndy fit for the fitness day event.

She said that a concerted effort between CPB and some intramurals was required to make the event happen. She said that the organizers wanted to inspire UIndy to move, even if just for the day.

“We hope that more than 300 people can come and get involved with intramural pick-up games, but we just want them to be fit and active for this day,” Lobo said.

Lobo said that the UIndy event springs from the fact that Feb. 22 of every year is National Recreational Sports and Fitness Day, which was established to focus on the positive benefits of recreational sports, fitness activities and wellness programs to Americans of all ages.

Feb. 22 also represents the founding day of the National Intramural Association. NIRSA is an organization that encourages collegiate recreation to develop good habits for the future. According to the official NIRSA website, “As college and university students develop into future leaders, NIRSA members support their learning and growth by fostering lifelong habits of wellbeing. Leadership, teamwork, dedication and respect are among the many skills exercised by inclusive competition, fitness and recreation.” According to the NIRSA official statement on its website, the organization “believes that collegiate recreation is a significant and powerful key to inspiring wellness in local, regional and global communities.”

Senior actuarial science major Robbie Shepard said that attending events such as this and staying fit while in college can help develop healthy habits for the future. Shepard also said that the event opened new doors for socializing.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for people to get out and get together to have some fun,” Shepard said. “I guess people usually do something on weekends, so having this opening is an awesome opportunity for people to get out and get to know more people.”

Master of business administration major Frank Xu, an international student from China, said that he still enjoys keeping fit outside of his old position on the Ningbo Institute of Technology men’s basketball team.

“Gradually, I realized that I really like working out and naturally keep on doing this regularly,” Xu said. “When I started my studying life in UIndy, I found most American folks love fitness so much that they even regard it as an indispensable part of their life.”

Xu said that he has learned more than just about fitness while working out.

“Obviously, I am more fit and active than before—lucky me,” Xu said. “Another reason that I am really into this ‘game’ is because I get opportunities to make a lot of friends. Getting to know different cultures, that’s awesome.”